This month’s Literacy unit is based on the Harry Potter series. These are the suggestions that stemmed from our September work session:
- Receptive Language Activity-Jeopardylab website–categories are always “wh” questions. (May not be advisable to set it up like jeopardy–Could be too difficult for kiddos to answer in the form of a question.) Takes about 10 min to set up-saves online (You have to remember what you called it but can call it up at anytime.) Set it up for any number of teams. Can connect to a smart board, computer, switch access, etc. Can also make this multiple choice
- For a chapter book we do a board for each chapter
- Expressive Lang Act– Sorting hat– take out a question and ask the person the question, they have answer on topic back and ask an appropriate question back–great for students with autism.
- You can use the sorting hat for vocab words–EET style, synonym, antonym, etc.
- Artic-/r/–how about the characters (it is middle and high)! Reading aloud, answering questions
- Cast spells using the words they are practicing
How do you use chapter books with your older kiddos?