Today Candra Grether shares an idea for targeting articulation with a high school student:
I wanted to share a worksheet I just made for a high school student with diagnoses that significantly impact articulation and therefore intelligibility. Who knows who might be looking for something like this so I thought I would share just in case.The student is new to me this year but was doing pretty well in my room. At the annual IEP meeting the parent expressed wanting the student to stay in speech and I expressed that I felt “push-in” services would be a better fit so we could work on generalizing the student’s skills. The therapy definitely looks less direct than what it would look like in the speech room: I’ve been coming in the student’s smaller resource class, making observations and using visual cue cards with strategies on them as needed. The visual cues help but I wanted a way to give the student more feedback before leaving the room (as discreetly as possible because again, this is a high school student who isn’t as excited about speech as the younger ones tend to be).I took the student in my room again recently so we could discuss a worksheet that I wanted to create. With the student’s help, the worksheet reviews their strategies that our many lovely JCPS SLPs have taught the student in the past in words the student understands (“overarticulation” means nothing to the student so per their input we went with “say sounds” in parentheses). After that I have an area to write down the data point I will be logging for that session (just two benchmarks) (or a note to say I didn’t take data that day for whatever reason); an area for observations where I am going to circle the strategies that were used well and the strategies that weren’t used that maybe would have been helpful; and finally, an area for notes.